Thursday, July 21, 2016

"You Don't Look Sick"

When you see someone in a wheelchair, struggling to get around, you can usually defer that they have some sort of serious medical problem. But what about those that have serious illnesses that are not so easy to detect? 
It might be more common than you think. I am sure you have seen someone park in the handicapped spot, then get out of their car looking completely normal. What you don't realize is that this person is struggling with a very severe condition that is not visible to the naked eye. 
I am one of these people. I have an invisible illness. 
It is not easy to get handicap licences. You do have to go through your doctor, have paperwork filled out with a list of your conditions, and then get it handled at the DMV. So why is there such an attitude toward us? I believe because most people just don't understand.
About 3 months ago I had yet another surgery (mentioned in my previous blog). I had 8 wires removed that were wrapped around my sternum, causing severe pain. I had to stay overnight in the hospital; however, the next morning I was free to go and rested at home.

3 days after my surgery
Since this was not my first time that I had had my chest cut in to, I knew when I was ready to start treating with coconut oil and scar cream. Already my scar is looking much better than the photo above. 
With everything going on this year, I finally went and get a handicapped license after struggling with it in my mind for over a year. It has been a blessing for the days when my pain is not manageable or I'm just exhausted. 
This is how I live my life; some days, I have more energy than others. It is like this for everyone with an invisible illness. Recently, I was told about The Spoon Theory by my nurse (who is also a cardiac patient). It is written by a lady with Lupus to help others explain to their family what it's like to live with an invisible illness. 
Since I have learned about The Spoon Theory it has changed my life and I am constantly informing others to read it as well. 



No comments:

Post a Comment